[mapserver-users] Compiling gd with freetype2 on Solaris 2.6

Hockaday, John JohnHockaday at auslig.gov.au
Tue Nov 13 18:22:13 EST 2001

Hi,

This is probably not the right list for this discussion but, after looking
at the archives, I did notice some people have had similar problems and sent
similar emails.  I also haven't had a response from "Albatross Consulting"
so I thought that I would try this list.

I am trying to compile a nightly build of mapserver 3.5 on Solaris 2.6 using
gd-1.8.4amgif from the http://www.rhyme.com.au/gd/
site.  I want mapserver to use GIFS because I am in Australia and the GIF
licence agreement doesn't apply to us and our users are using some really
old browsers.

I believe that I have successfully compiled freetype-2.0.1 with its
pre-requisites but when I try to compile gd as follows:

   ./configure --enable-freetype2 --libdir=/usr/local/lib \
                    --includedir=/usr/local/include \
                    --x-includes=/usr/local/include/freetype/freetype \
                    --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib

I get the following warning:

"...
checking for X... libraries /usr/local/lib, headers
/usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype
checking for main in -lm... (cached) yes
checking for deflate in -lz... (cached) yes
checking for png_check_sig in -lpng... (cached) yes
checking for freetype.h... (cached) no
configure: warning: libgd will be built without support for FreeType2 fonts
- no freetype.h.
checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... (cached) yes
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) no
..."

freetype.h is located in /usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype
but the configuration file seems to ignore that I have
included this path in the --x-includes option for configure.

Has anyone come across this problem and solved it?  If so can someone tell
me what I need to do to get gd to compile with freetype2 with GIF support?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John Hockaday