[mapserver-users] generated dynamic .map files

Stephen Lime sdlime at mninter.net
Wed Oct 3 01:29:18 EDT 2001

Hi: Maps need to be on the same machine as the MapServer. Map files
are so central to the software it hasn't made that much sense (to me
anyway) to allow remote files, especially since data needs to be local
(in most cases) anyway. You can certainly customize a map file remotely.
You could easily write a wrapper script in perl or python to accept an
entire map file over the network and then run MapServer in response,
either the normal CGI or something in MapScript.

I would think with Zope you'd want to use the Python version of MapScript
and write components that way. You could also wrap calls to an external
MapServer. I'm starting to do this with custom JSP actions to make life
easier for my web staff.

Steve