[Mapserver-users] SDE queries are different

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Dec 4 17:46:52 EST 2002

It may not be intuitive but it's a good thing! Using the
Oracle/PostGIS/SDE SQL engine is going to be more efficient. Filters are
vendor specific, says so right in the docs...

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937
>>> Paul Ramsey <pramsey at refractions.net> 12/04/02 13:19 PM >>>
The same things applies for PostGIS and OracleSpatial FILTERs. It is
counterintuitive, yes. But the FILTER in the spatial database layers is
passed directly to the SQL generator which is making the db call, so it
has to conform to SQL where-clause syntax. It gets even more confusing
though, because the EXPRESSION statements in CLASSes remain the same
even in db-backed layers. This is because once the feature set is
retrieved, the rest of the processing is done by Mapserver itself. So we

use Mapserver syntax in the EXPRESSIONs. Clear as mud... :)

Murray, Ross wrote:
> I have a javascript function that builds a string (from an Oracle
database)
> that is used as a layer filter. For example, the script may produce
>
> 	' [CODE] ' = ' somevalue '
>
> which is passed to Mapserver as the value for map_somelayer_filter.
> This works fine, only so long as the underlying source is a shapefile.
If

--
       __
      /