[Mapserver-users] Installation size

Vinko Vrsalovic vinko at cprsig.cl
Tue Dec 10 15:45:04 EST 2002

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 02:33:37PM -0300, Daniel Berstein wrote:
> How many concurrent users do your Mapserver installations get? Our current
> platform (not mapserver) degrades and crashes often with over 50 concurrent
> request.

As you might suspect, there's no single answer for that. It depends on
what are you displaying, what level of data preprocessing/preparation are
you doing, and the machine(s) you're running it on. With simple requests
and almost no further processing I've been able to serve more than 30
concurrent requests, compared to the almost 5 concurrent requests for
another application that had to do heavy calculation before displaying
the data, this on the same machine (a low end one, BTW), of course.

Another relevant issue is that 50 concurrent requests means that 50
people are doing an operation at almost the same time. So, a peak of 50
concurrent connections is a lot more that 50 users using the app at
the same time.

You can try fine tuning (apache/whatever) for higher loads.

What's weird is the crashing part, every time I've stressed the
MapServer apps, when I reach the upper limit, it simply stops responding
due to the high load, then, when the load's normal again it keeps going.
I've never had crashing problems due to load. Are you running on Windows
platform? :-)

HTH,
--
Vinko Vrsalovic <el[|- at -|]vinko.cl>