[Mapserver-users] instruction : mapserver on Mandrake 9

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Thu Dec 12 06:04:44 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 11:41, Jordi Rodriguez [PERCEPTION.ES] wrote:
> Vincent> possible/needed libraries etc., and don't forget to compile a separate
> Vincent> php binary to use as a cgi instead of the standard apache-extension php
> Vincent> usually is...) and give it a try. And when you get troubles
> Vincent> compiling...
>
> Could I know why you recommend to use as a CGI insted of the standard
> apache-extension?

I apologize for going a bit to fast: I assumed you wanted to use
php/mapscript. If you only want to use mapserver (as a cgi for example,
or using perl/mapscript or other interfaces) you won't need to have php
as a cgi. But if you want to use php/mapscript, which enables you to use
mapserver from php, you must have php as a cgi. If this gives you
trouble, with some tricks it is very well possible (I tried it myself)
to have php as a dso for normal php applications, and as a cgi
especially for mapscript applications. For more info you should have a
look at the mapscript page of dmsolutions. The php-cgi question is
answered here:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PHPMapScriptCGI
Again, if you don't want to use php/mapscript, please don't bother about
this.

Regards,
Vincent Schut.