[Mapserver-users] Dusting off the ArcIMS wrapper project

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Dec 13 14:37:45 EST 2002

Ed,

Paul Ramsey and the gang at Refractions had a basic one going a little while
ago, you could actually add a MapServer WMS to your ArcCatalog !

Let me see if I can find the URL ...

Ah, here we go:

http://postgis.refractions.net/download.php

Look at the bottom left, for imsemu (ArcIMS Emulator) ... Only basic
features, but worked well when I tested it, they even have a demo server up
for testing ...

Cheers,
J.F.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed McNierney [mailto:ed at topozone.com]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 2:01 PM
To: mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu
Subject: [Mapserver-users] Dusting off the ArcIMS wrapper project

Folks -

I'd like to spend some time on getting a real ArcIMS wrapper for MapServer
going.  Waiting for ESRI to actually implement open server support in their
client products is like waiting for the next glacier to show up.

There were a few conversations a while back, but things have gone quiet.
I've been looking through the ArcXML docs and things look pretty doable, but
I'm not at all familiar with the standard client/server "conversation"
between a client and an ArcIMS server.  Anyone with that experience would be
very helpful.

In addition, if anyone knows good "sniffer" tools to log the conversation
(I've got ArcGIS 8.2 and can talk to ArcIMS servers) I'd appreciate
pointers.  Thanks.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker