[Mapserver-users] Projection Questions - MapScript

Benjamin Wragg bwragg at tpg.com.au
Mon Dec 16 16:24:40 EST 2002

I’m doing some investigation into the use of MapServer and I have a
query on the projection capabilities of MapServer. From what I’ve learnt
the following steps should be possible, but I just wanted to check them
with someone:

1. Pass an x y coorindate to the ms_newPointObj() constructor to create
a new point.
2. Change the projection of the point to the projection of the rest of
the map, using the project method.
3a. Use the newly projected point to select features in a layer that
intersect the point.
							Or
3b. Put a buffer around the point and then select features in a layer
that intersect the point.

Also is it possible to change the projection of a whole map by using the
setProjection method?
What is the performance degradation of re projecting a whole map?

Thanks,

Benjamin Wragg