[mapserver-users] simplicity

Gerald Thornberry gthornberry at sdimaps.com
Wed Jan 2 11:10:47 EST 2002

I've not yet had the pleasure of creating a MapServer application, though
I've been lurking on this list for about a year and a half.  While I would
also like it to be super-simple, I realize that time is at a premium for
developers of projects like this.  Then with so many possible combinations
of OSs, output formats, webservers, geodata types, preferred programming
languages, etc., creating explicit documentation for each scenario is
overwhelming even for an organized group of doc writers.  Besides, writing
documentation always takes a backseat to writing code unless you're being
paid to do so.  Coding is the fun part after all.

Since I haven't attempted a MapServer install yet, I must ask those in the
know:  if all of the right packages are properly installed prior to trying
to compile MapServer, would it compile correctly every time?  In other
words, if I knew that for my intended use of MapServer that I needed gdal,
php, and libjpeg -- and installed them before I even tried to compile
MapServer -- would it work?

If the answer is yes, would it then be possible to create an online wizard
that a potential user could run through that would help them identify
tools and versions they would need to install (or verify that they have
already installed) in order to accomplish their goals with MapServer?

For example, categorize elements to help the user identify how they plan
to implement MapServer:

Select the OS:  OpenBSD | pick-a-Linux | Windows flavors | Mac OS X

Select webserver platform:  Apache | IIS | some-Java-thingy

Select geodata source(s):  shapefiles | ArcSDE | PostGIS | etc...

Select output image format:  GIF | JPG | PNG | PDF

Select fonts:  cool True Type ones | lame'o ugly ones

Select other features until you're out of options...

The user would ultimately receive a checklist of prerequisite packages and
proper versions to install (or verify are installed).  Consequently,
developers could compile stats on options that users want most often, and
users could see the full variety of options in an outline format, which is
easier to digest at the outset of this type of project than pages of
documentation (though I'm not suggesting that it is a substitute for good
docs).  Anyway, enough run-on sentences.  I just thought I'd try to help
and then cowardly run away.  I don't want to write documentation either.

Gerald Thornberry
Technical Support Manager
Spatial Data Integrations, Inc.