[mapserver-users] Python Mapscript MS 3.6.1

Michael Schulz mschulz at webgis.de
Thu Jul 11 11:49:36 EDT 2002

Hi,

thanks for the hint to the setup script of Norman Vine. Find it here:
http://www.vso.cape.com/~nhv/files/python/mapscript/setup.py )
You may need to change some things (paths, libs, etc. ).

It works well and python gets swigged and compiled and installed automatically. Yipiie!

But after that i encountered some problems. After invoking python, i can do:

>>>import mapscript      (works fine), then i try a test that Norman mentioned in a post:
>>>mapscript.msGetVersion()      (should give the MS_VERSION string) but i get this error:
AttributeError: 'mapscript' module has no attribute 'msGetVersion'
>>>m = mapscript.ms_newmapObj('/path/to/mapfile')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: 'mapscript' module has no attribute 'ms_newmapObj'

So, it seems i get mapscript compiled and all, but it is not working properly.
(I am using MS 3.6.0, Python 2.1.2, Swig 1.3.13)

Perhaps someone who has an overview of mapscript/compiling/swig/python can give some advice
where to look for the problem.

Thanks, Michael

Michael Schulz                                in medias res
Dipl.-Geologe                              Gesellschaft für
                                Informationstechnologie mbH
                             Sautierstr. 38, 79104 Freiburg
                                     0761 55695-95 (Fax 96)
mschulz at webgis.de                             www.webgis.de