[mapserver-users] network analysis in mapserver

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Jul 15 10:37:20 EDT 2002

Seamus,

Mapserver doesn't have this functionality as you probably know at
this point. I have code that does what you describe below that could
be adapted to any number of similar application. To be able to run
fast (ie for a web application) I build a directed graph that is then
used to compute the shortest path method and then I extract the
required segments into a shape file that can be rendered by
mapserver.

I have a live demo running on my site at
    http://iMapTools.com/demos
click the "Get A Route" link

This demo is using the US National Highway Planning Network
shapefiles for the directed graph, but a directed graph could be
built for other networks from shapefiles or other data sources.

-Stephen Woodbridge