[mapserver-users] Getting mapserver running on Mac OS X

Alex Rice alex_rice at arc.to
Wed Jul 17 04:31:43 EDT 2002

Hi folks. Is anyone running mapserver on Mac OS X? I scanned the list
archives but didn't see any real success stories about Mac OS X.

I've got PostGIS running on OS X and now I want to get Mapserver running.

After running into some trouble compiling GD and friends (libJPEG,
libPNG), I paid a visit to to my old friend FINK.
(fink.sourceforge.net). Now I have fresh installs of FreeType, Ping,
JPEG, TIFF and GD. I was expecting the mapserver compile to go off
without a problem, however, the configure script seems to be expecting
the headers and libraries to have certain names in certain locations. I
don't know much about FSF configure and wanted to ask before I start
ripping this configure script apart. My system currently looks like this:

localhost:gis/Mapserver/mapserver-3.6.0] alex% ls /sw/lib
apt                       libfreetype.dylib         libmenu.dylib.5.2
dpkg                      libfreetype.la            libncurses++.a
fink                      libgd.1.8.dylib           libncurses.a
libapt-inst.1.0.0.dylib   libgd.1.dylib             libncurses.dylib
libapt-inst.1.0.dylib     libgd.a                   libncurses.dylib.5
libapt-pkg.3.2.0.dylib    libgd.dylib               libncurses.dylib.5.2
libapt-pkg.3.2.dylib      libiconv.2.0.4.dylib      libpanel.a
libbz2.1.0.2.dylib        libiconv.2.dylib          libpanel.dylib
libbz2.1.dylib            libiconv.dylib            libpanel.dylib.5
libbz2.dylib              libiconv.la               libpanel.dylib.5.2
libcharset.1.0.0.dylib    libintl.1.0.1.dylib       libpng.2.1.0.12.dylib
libcharset.1.dylib        libintl.1.dylib           libpng.2.dylib
libcharset.a              libintl.a                 libpng.a
libcharset.dylib          libintl.dylib             libpng.dylib
libcharset.la             libintl.la                libtiff.3.5.7.dylib
libcurses.dylib           libjpeg.62.0.0.dylib      libtiff.3.dylib
libform.a                 libjpeg.62.dylib          libtiff.a
libform.dylib             libjpeg.a                 libtiff.dylib
libform.dylib.5           libjpeg.dylib             libz.1.1.4.dylib
libform.dylib.5.2         libjpeg.la                libz.1.dylib
libfreetype.6.2.0.dylib   libmenu.a                 perl5
libfreetype.6.dylib       libmenu.dylib             rmt
libfreetype.a             libmenu.dylib.5           terminfo

[localhost:gis/Mapserver/mapserver-3.6.0] alex% ls /sw/include/
bzlib.h      cursslk.h    gdcache.h    jconfig.h    ncurses.h
tiffconf.h
curses.h     eti.h        gdfontg.h    jerror.h     panel.h      tiffio.h
cursesapp.h  etip.h       gdfontl.h    jmorecfg.h   png.h
tiffvers.h
cursesf.h    form.h       gdfontmb.h   jpeglib.h    pngconf.h    unctrl.h
cursesm.h    freetype2    gdfonts.h    libcharset.h term.h       zconf.h
cursesp.h    gd.h         gdfontt.h    libintl.h    termcap.h    zlib.h
cursesw.h    gd_io.h      iconv.h      menu.h       tiff.h

You can see the headers are there and the libraries are there. And that
OS X uses ".dylib" as it's usual extension for shared libraries, not
".so". (although some apps create .so files, don't know what the
difference between .dylib and .so is)

% ./configure --with-postgis=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config --with-
jpeg=/sw/include --with-png=/sw/include --with-gd=/sw/include
--with-freetype=/sw/include
checking whether we should include JPEG support...
Could not find jpeglib.h or libjpeg.a/libjpeg.so in /sw/include.
checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... no
         libjpeg not found. JPEG support not included, possibly needed
for GD.
checking which version of GD to use...
configure: error: Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in
/sw/include. Make sure gd is compiled before calling configure.

It seems like configure is expecting the library and header files to be
in the same directory, not in  an include/ directory AND a lib/
directory? So, somehow I just need to convince the configure script
everything is really OK. Does anyone have suggestions on this? Or, can
anyone send me a Makefile after your configure is done with it. Then I
can edit the Makefile and put in my own paths in?

Thanks & I look forward to trying mapserver on OS X.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alex_rice at arc.to
alrice at swcp.com