[mapserver-users] Getting mapserver running on Mac OS X

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Wed Jul 17 09:39:33 EDT 2002

On Wednesday, July 17, 2002, at 03:31  AM, Alex Rice wrote:

> Hi folks. Is anyone running mapserver on Mac OS X?

I am... have been running it on my iBook with 10.1.x for a while now.

I made a basic compile with Perl Mapscript, and the very basic GD, jpeg,
png, etc. Works quite well. I can also use Perl::DBI with MySQL to bring
information from non-spatial database.

Have not compiled Mapserver with PostGres.

Everything works mostly well, except I mucked around with my stock Perl
installs, fooled around with mod_perl, installed new Apache, etc. As a
result, I have experienced occasional problems with Perl Mapscript...
these are well documented in the archives.

> After running into some trouble compiling GD and friends (libJPEG,
> libPNG), I paid a visit to to my old friend FINK.
> (fink.sourceforge.net). Now I have fresh installs of FreeType, Ping,
> JPEG, TIFF and GD. I was expecting the mapserver compile to go off
> without a problem, however, the configure script seems to be expecting
> the headers and libraries to have certain names in certain locations.

I know folks swear by fink, but I had some problem with fink at one
time, so I kinda let it go. There are very nice and clear instructions
by Scott Anguish on stepwise.com on how to install GD, and the other
graphics libs. No problem at all.

Once all that is done, Mapserver compiles without any problem except
one... you might get the double 'cc' in the configure script that might
have to be edited. That also is well documented in the archives.

If you want, I can separately mail you a working Mapserver binary that
works on other machines quite well (I tried it on my daughter's iMac and
it worked right off the bat).

pk/