[mapserver-users] PHP, HOW??: Returning Results to Multiple Windows

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Wed Jul 17 08:08:54 EDT 2002

One way of doing this is creating a submit-form in each window, each calling
a different PHP script. If the first window has a form called Form1 (for map
results) and the second window Form2 (for query output), you can code both
forms as follows:

<form name=form1 action=<your PHP=mapserver-script> method=POST>
<input type=hidden name=extent value=...>
<...>
</form>

<form name=form2 action =<your PHP-query-result script> method=POST>
<input type=hidden name=myvariable1 value=...>
<...>
</form>

If both windows are in a frameset like:
<frameset>
	<frame name=window1 src=window1.html>
	<frame name=window2 src=window2.html>
</frameset>

you can send both forms to the server with this button:

<button onclick="window1.form1.submit();window2.form2.submit()">

The form variables are available to the PHP-scripts in the predefined $_POST
array (e.g. $_POST["extent"], $_POST["myvariable1"]). They can be used to
generate response pages which will be sent back to the calling windows.

Hope this helps.

Jan Hartmann
Department of Geography
University of Amsterdam
jhart at frw.uva.nl

PS In older versions of PHP the $_POST array is known as $HTTP_POST_VARS. It
does not have global scope like $_POST. The traditional way of reading FORM
variables into PHP (just using global variables with the same name, like
$extent, $myvariable1) is strongly discouraged for security reasons and will
be dropped in the future.