[mapserver-users] using truetype symbols

Evgeny Yacubovich evgen at tti-telecom.com
Sun Jul 21 10:07:47 EDT 2002

I tried to change the demo so it shows true type symbols instead of circles
in Airport layer.
I did the following changes.

1. Created text file "fonts.list" with one line:
arial arial.ttf

2. added the line
FONTSET "D:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\htdocs\demo\fonts\fonts.list"
after the lines SHAPEPATH and IMAGECOLOR in map section of file demo.map.
And to be 100% sure I copied arial.ttf file into the same directory.
The path is OK. I got no error messages.

3. Created new Symbol description:
SYMBOL
  NAME 'Evgeny'
  TYPE truetype
  FONT arial
  FILLED FALSE
  ANTIALIAS true
  CHARACTER "B"
END

4. In section describing Airports layer I made the following change
#    SYMBOL 'circle'
    SYMBOL 'Evgeny'
Just trying to show truetype font symbol "B" instead of the circle

And I see nothing in "airport" layer.
The legend shows line "airport" but also without any symbol.
But the layer is not empty. The features are just invisible. I even managed
to query once an invisible airport.

What did I make wrong, or what did I miss?
Thank you in advance.

Evgeny Yakubovich