[mapserver-users] determining lat/lon extensin of gif map from two know lat/lon cooridnates

Jan Mantkowski jan.mantkowski at gmx.de
Sun Jul 21 09:04:27 EDT 2002

Hi,

i am looking for a formula for this problem:

I have a gif file that is a map.
There are Madrid and Berlin on the map.
I know the lat and lon of both towns and also the x and y pixel coordinates.

I need the upper left hand and lower right hand coordiantes of the map in
degrees.

I need this to geocode the map.

I believe the map is a Universal Transverse Mercator map.

Later i want to display other lat/lon coordinates on the map.
I understand that i need both x/y and lat/lon coordinates of the map to do
this.

Any tips and hints?
I use php, not mapserver.
This needs to become a lowe tech solution to geocode maps.

Jan