[mapserver-users] GDAL and gdaladdo

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Fri Jul 26 17:50:50 EDT 2002

Hi Adam,
Don't worry, it's not rocket science :)
You'll need the win32 GDAL files from
ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/gdal/gdal-115a-ntbin.zip
(Frank, is there an updated version available anywhere?)
It will include the gdaladdo application, among others.
To get Mapserver working with the libraries I'm not sure if you have to
make the libgdal.dll available in your path or not.  I tend to just through
my dll's into the cgi-bin path but that's just me :)

One pointer - if you build overviews and find the colours funny at certain
scales, experiment with using "-r nearest" instead of "-r average" and it
may produce better results.

Tyler

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           "Ryan, Adam"                |
|         |           <ARyan at co.linn.or.us>       |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           owner-mapserver-users at lists.|
|         |           gis.umn.edu                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           07/26/2002 11:59 AM         |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->
  |       To:       "Mapserver User List" <mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu>, <warmerdam at pobox.com>                             |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Fax to:                                                                                                                |
  |       Subject:  [mapserver-users] GDAL and gdaladdo                                                                          |

Dear Mr. Warmerdam and List,

I use the 'out-of-the-box' Mapserver Win32 binary.  I've never compiled
MapServer myself.
I recently downloaded the binary with GDAL support.  I want to generate
overviews of my tiffs with gdaladdo but I haven't the foggiest idea of how
to do that.
The MapserverWiki has this:

warmerda at gdal[430]% gdaladdo
 Usage: gdaladdo [-r {nearest,average,average_mp,average_magphase,mode}]
                filename levels
 Example:
  % gdaladdo -r average abc.tif 2 4 8 16

What is this?  What language is this?  Where is this gdalladdo?  Why is it
that as soon as I think I get a handle on things, I realize how little I
know?

Adam Ryan
Linn County