[mapserver-users] Peer-to-peer GIS app using Mapserver

Ben Lewis blewis at atsincorp.com
Fri Jul 26 18:08:30 EDT 2002

MapServer users -
Some of you may be interested in a project we have been working on in
cooperation with the FGDC and OGC called ROMap.  We have developed a
prototype application in java on top of Mapserver which in effect allows
users to run Mapserver as a desktop application for data viewing as well as
an OGC compliant, peer-to-peer live GIS data sharing application. Right now
it supports shape files, but can be set up to serve raster data as well.

The application lets Mapserver run without Apache so installation is very
simple and resource requirements are minimal.  The other neat thing about
the app is that you don't need a static IP and a web server to serve large
GIS datasets.  You can do it using over a 56k dial-up.  These are reasons
the approach makes sense in general and for the developing world in
particular.  In fact we will be demonstrating the application as part of the
OGC GISD-ICP project to demonstrate interoperable GIS data sharing for
Africa at the United Nations Earth Summit in South Africa this summer.

We have the latest version on the romap site - please check it out
http://romap.net and give us your feedback.  There are still many rough
edges on this app. Be easy on us - application and documentation are
developing - our budget for this has been very limited.

- Ben

Benjamin Lewis
Advanced Technology Solutions, Inc.
Lancaster, PA 17601-6799