[mapserver-users] question on tutorial

Patrick Stanistreet be708 at lafn.org
Fri Jul 26 07:48:40 EDT 2002

I have been working with the tutorial and have stripped the itasca
demo.map file
to a single layer ctybdpy2 which shows just the state outline.

I have also compiled shapelib-1.2.9 and found that shpinfo doesn't work,
it is necessary to download from remotesensing.org the 1.3 source version
of the file; with that I have been able to get the extent for California
from the national atlas site.

Now using dbfdump from the same library I have been looking at ctybdpy2
and I can see CLASSITEM cty_name and CLASS EXPRESSION Itasca
but when I try to change to any other city name the map comes up blank.

This is prelude to switching to the california map expecting to provide the
minimum demo.map file for a single layer display.  I have also noticed
that commenting out CLASSITEM, CLASS is not valid.

Thanks for any help.