[mapserver-users] gdal-h missing during compile of mapserver

Don Holeman dholeman1 at cox.net
Sun Jul 28 22:53:27 EDT 2002

Greetings,

I am trying to build gdal into my first mapserver compilation. I have
installed the gdal binary on my redhat 7.3 pc with the install.sh script,
verified the path and done ldconfig. I configure it with the path
appropriately set and during the make I get the message

In file included from mapraster.c:2:
mapresample.h:44:20: gdal.h: No such file or directory
mapraster.c:25:18: gdal.h: No such file or directory.

Indeed, there is no such file present, having been omitted from the binary
tar. The missing header file is included in the src tar distributrion,
however. Does this mean that I need to compile gdal from the src rather than
simply install the linux binary? If so is there a follow-on instruction as
to where to install the files, I could find none in the tar or on the site
and the install.sh that comes with the src distribution appears to not have
been configured at all. Assuming everything goes where the binary install.sh
script puts them for the binary distribution, where would I put the gdal.h
file? Instead of recompiling it all can I just copy over the needed files?

Thanks,
Don Holeman

---