[mapserver-users] GD/Freetype Problem (was: No Image Output)

Alexander Pucher pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
Mon Jul 29 08:01:24 EDT 2002

You were right! By unchecking the 'Pop.Places', everything works fine.
The problem really seems to be the TrueType stuff ;-(

I played around a bit and came up with the following problem:

I want to build Mapserver with GD and freetype 1.3 (!!) support, because
of the known problems with freetype 2.0.

To be absolutely sure, I removed all Freetype 2.0 stuff from my system
using YAST2 at SuSE 8.0 ( I hope, it does this job well)
I built and installed freetype 1.3 and GD from source:

./doit-gd:

make clean
rm config.cache
./configure --enable-freetype --enable-jpeg

the output:

checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking for deflate in -lz... yes
checking for png_check_sig in -lpng... yes
checking for jpeglib.h... yes
checking for jpeg_start_compress in -ljpeg... yes
checking for freetype.h... yes
checking for TT_Init_FreeType in -lttf... yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
checking for png.h... yes

when running the configure script of mapserver:

./doit-mapserver:

make clean
rm config.cache
./configure --with-proj --with-sde --with-ogr --with-gdal --with-postgis
--with-wmsclient --with-tiff --with-jpeg --with-php=/download/php-4.2.1
--with-freetype=/usr/local/lib --enable-force-freetype1

it keeps showing me:

checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... yes
        using libjpeg from system libs.
checking which version of GD to use...
        using libgd from system libs.
checking where FreeType is installed...
        using libfreetype from -L/usr/local/lib -lttf
checking where Zlib is installed...
checking for zlibVersion in -lz... yes
        using libz from system libs.
checking where PNG is installed...
checking for png_init_io in -lpng... yes
        using libpng from system libs.
checking for gdImageCreate in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageJpeg in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageWBMP in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageStringFT in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageString16 in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageGifPtr in -lgd... yes
        using GD ( -DUSE_GD_GIF -DUSE_GD_PNG -DUSE_GD_JPEG -DUSE_GD_WBMP
-DUSE_GD_FT -DGD_HAS_GDIMAGEGIFPTR) from system libs.
checking whether we should include PDF support...

According to the MapServer Unix HOWTO, I should not get DUSE_GD_FT but
DUSE_GD_TTF, when building with Freetype1 !!!

Can anybody help me?

Regards
alex