[mapserver-users] missing library

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Jul 29 23:51:28 EDT 2002

Don Holeman wrote:

> I've gotten my first mapserver build to compile to completion on redhat 7.3
> using
>
> ./configure --without-pdf --with-jpeg --with-gd --with-gdal --with-postgis -
> -with-zlib --with-freetype --with-png --without-tiff --with-proj --with-wmsc
> lient --with-ogr --with-php=/usr/local/php4/include/php
>
> It tests fine until I load it to the web server. At that point it is
> desiring the shared library file "libgd.so.1.8: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory"
>
> Does this mean that the share libraries must be present on the server?

Yup, the shared libs must be present on the server, and they must be in
your runtime library path.  Are you compiling on one machine and
uploading the executable to another server?  If you do that then you
should make sure that both systems have identical configurations, this
will be especially important for your php_mapscript.so as well.

To find out which libaries are required by your executable, use
  ldd mapserv
or
  ldd php_mapscript.so

HTH,