[mapserver-users] Web Server Tricks... Kind of Off Topic

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Tue Jun 4 20:12:02 EDT 2002

would be cool, wouldn't it! but, unless mapserver can be made into a daemon
(or a service), this really is not easy.

think about it...

a user request comes to your dummy (slowpoke) web server. The webserver
determines this is a ms request...

one way, of course, would be to simply pass the request to a different
webserver... both, in Apache and IIS (and probably every other webserver on
earth except perhaps the 10 line ultramicro one somewhere) you can easily
forward a request to another computer based on a number of parameters. but
what's the point of this... you may as well have that "other" server
published and not have the users go to your slowpoke server...

what you want is that the grunt work of ripping through the mountains of
shape files or other data is done by a chunky backbox with gobs of ram and
solid-state harddisks for storage, no? so, the slowpoke server passes the
params to your backbox which constructs the requisite image and dumps it
into a storage that is url-accessible by the slowpoke.

now, the way ms is right now, it is just a program (a great one, but just a
program nonetheless). it runs only when poked by either the webserver (cgi)
or perl/php (cgi). you need it to be like a server itself (then it will
really live up to the last two syllables in its name), fully threaded n'all,
perhaps forking, just like Apache is, in its own memory space, etc.

Perhaps it could be... SDL is the man for to comment on that.

Even better if it could be a mod_mapserver a la mod_perl, all compiled and
loaded within Apache itself, but that is another story...

pk/