[mapserver-users] Web Server Tricks... Kind of Off Topic

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Tue Jun 4 19:30:50 EDT 2002

Well, I'll be the first to advocate WMS functionality for Chip :)
Have you dug into this at all - it will probably be the best solution for
you and keeps things nice and secure since it uses a simple httpd request
to another box.  You should check out the WMS how to's:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc35/wms-client-howto.html
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc35/wms-server-howto.html

You'll want your externally available server to be setup as a WMS Client
and the stronger machine internal to your network to be a WMS Server.
You'll need a web server on both ends of course.

Let us know if you need some hand holding, the archives should have lots of
discourse on this.  Hopefully the hint "USE WMS" gets you headed in the
right direction.

Tyler

                      "Hankley, Chip"
                      <Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com>            To:       "MapServer List (E-mail)"
                      Sent by:                             <mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu>
                      owner-mapserver-users at lists.        cc:
                      gis.umn.edu                         Fax to:
                                                          Subject:  [mapserver-users] Web Server Tricks... Kind of Off Topic

                      06/04/2002 02:43 PM

I am by no means a guru at configuring / working out web server hardware /
networking issues... and could use a little guidance.

Our main webserver is pretty much a dog. We're running a 200 MHz dual
processor server w/ win2K and IIS... it handles a number of things for our
company (besides mapserver)... and it is S L O W (i know... 200 MHz,
Win2K... big part of the problem).

Anyway... my options are limited b/c of internal politics and the like - so
Linux is out, as well as my own dedicated server.

What I'm wondering is if there is some way to "pass-through" my mapserver
requests to a more powerful box within the organization. For instance, a MS
request would come in, and instead of being processed on that server, the
actual mapserver work (the process of rendering the image from the raw GIS
data) would occur on another more powerful machine, and then the image
either would be passed back for service to the client, or would be read
directly from that machine. Is such a thing possible? What would be the
performance implications of such a trick?

I think this is kind of how MO IMS and ArcIMS work in that there is a "Map
Server" that runs as a service... not necessarily on the web server.

TIA

Chip Hankley