[mapserver-users] Web Server Tricks... Kind of Off Topic

C F gis_consultant at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 5 11:22:25 EDT 2002

Hi Chip,
Just to throw another idea into the mix...
A few years back I played around with a product called "ASPTear".  We had an
application running on an Intranet and wanted to put it on the Internet for
a few few users... but didn't want to open any additional ports other than
port 80 between the DMZ and the internal network.  Since the internal
servers weren't visible outside the DMZ, we set up the web server as
basically a relay station to our internal app and the only communication was
HTTP. I assume you're doing something similar?
Anyway... you simply create the asptear.dll object in your .asp and tell it
what "page" to grab... in this case it would be something like
<%
asptear.getPage("http://mapservername/scripts/mapserv?" &
Request.QueryString)
%>
and call it by...
http://slowservername/mapserver_relay.asp?template=blah&program=blah&etc

and it relays the resultant HTTP back to the client... it's almost as
painless on your web server as serving up a simple html page.  You'd just
have to remember that Mapserver will need to write the image to the
"visible" server so the client can access it through the URL.
This was a couple years ago and I think it was either freeware or
inexpensive shareware.  Just search on "asptear", if you can't find anything
let me know and I'll see if I can dig it up.

I think there are already better suggestions that have been made. But this
is something to look into if you're really in a bind and have no room for
flexibility in your server configurations.