[mapserver-users] Question on linking external info

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jun 20 13:58:36 EDT 2002

Funny that this is the basic reason MapServer was built, to turn GIS
data into an index for other web resources. Basically you need to have
enough information in your GIS data to build a link to the external
resource. In our case we built our website (the one you mention below)
around an internal identification scheme so that it would be easy to
make such links. If the data is there then the rest is easy. We just use
URL templates, which use a bit of information from the shape attributes
to create a link to a resource. I've attached the Compass map file so
you can see how it works.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> lists <lists at mail.office.webstar.co.uk> 06/13/02 05:34AM >>>
Hi

I recently started looking into MapServer, and have MapServer
3.6/PostGIS
running. Very nice !

I was looking at the Recreation Compass at
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass.html and was wondering how they

implemented the external info when clicking on certain features in the

map.

For example, on clicking one of the pink "Scientific & Natural Areas" I

get a new browser window with Information/photos etc about "Lost River
Peatland
SNA" ... generally speaking, what is needed to achieve this ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards and Thanks

Arif Saleem