[mapserver-users] PHP Mapscript Layer object´s Open method

Nicolau Werneck nwerneck at yahoo.com.br
Sat Jun 22 16:18:23 EDT 2002

Hello, people

Some time ago I sent a message here because of this
piece of code:

$lyr=$map->getLayerByName("brest");
//$lyr->open("..\\geo\\brest.shp");
$shp=$lyr->getShape(-1, 1);
echo $shp->values["UF"]."<BR>";

Well, I finally started to work on that part of the
project again, and I must open this layer and find the
limits of specific shapes, so i can render maps
"closed" on them.

I´m trying to use the getShape function, and it needs
that the open() function be called before it.

I´m not shure I understand the process, and worse:
I´m not able to execute the Open function! Mapscript
returns:

Fatal error: MapServer Error in msOpenSHPFile(): No
(NULL) filename provided.

I´ve tried total and relative paths, with slash and
backslash, but it just can´t find it!

The documentation didn´t help me... I hope I can
receive some light from the PHP Mapscript gurus out
there! :)  How would be a "paragraph" of code that
opens a layer, finds a shape from it and reads it´s
extents?

Thanks!

++Nicolau

PS: One workaround it to have the extents on the
database I use... Thinking about it make me shiver!...
:Q