[mapserver-users] QUERY vs DRAW Question

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Mar 27 20:53:29 EST 2002

Hi all,

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to handle this problem:

I am generating a map and have the layers working great, but I also want
to do a query every time to in effect reverse geocode the the center of
the map. I have six layers that I always want to query with a small
extents that is independent of the zoom scale of the map so I can update
some fields on the map like STATE, COUNTY, CITY, and STREET say (yeah I
know I only listed 4 but I have 6 :)

The problem is that the layers have minscale/maxscale to turn them
on/off but I want always be able to query these layers.

I'm using PHP/Mapscript.

Do I just clone the layers and have the script turn the layers on and
off?
  - this seems like a real pain.

Do I make a second query only mapfile?

Did I get stupid and overlook some feature already in
mapserver/mapscript just for this purpose?

An thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  Steve Woodbridge