[mapserver-users] TIFFs and ECWs rasters get a monochrome output - why?

Andrew Hallam ahallam at digitalearth.com.au
Mon Sep 23 19:22:07 EDT 2002

Alexander,

Can you tell me how the TIFFs were compressed into ECW format? There are
two compression modes that are used for colour imagery - RGB and multiband
(plus grayscale).

RGB is optimised for colour imagery and produces the smallest file size.
However, if you use it to compress cartographic images (topo maps,
rasterised vectors, etc) it does not produce an image that looks as good as
the multiband equivalent. (Multiband results in a larger ECW file size.)

If your images were compressed using multiband you may find that MapServer
will produce grayscale output. I've written my own WMS image server using
ECW data (completely independent of MapServer) and I also have this
problem. As yet, I haven't worked out whether the problem is in my code or
the ECW SDK.

So, were your ECW images compressed as RGB, multiband or grayscale? If it
was multiband, try compressing a TIFF file using RGB and see if it works.

Regards
Andrew Hallam

Digital Earth Pty Ltd
http://www.digitalearth.com.au

--On Monday, September 23, 2002 23:28 +0200 Alexander Gleyzer