[Mapserver-users] Error 414 (Request-URI Too Long) on IIS

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Wed Apr 9 12:15:31 EDT 2003

This is an annoying problem when you send a map request in an URL and
the URL is very long, like
"http://.../mapserv.exe?map=mymap&extent=-180+-90+180+90&...&...&...").
  I know IE truncates this, I think at 1024 characters. I don't know if
Mozilla has the same problem. The only way to get so many data to the
server is to use a form with hidden variables (in other words  sending a
"POST" request instead of a "GET" to the server):

<form action="http://.../mapserv.exe" method="post">
   <input type="hidden" name="map" value="mymap">
   <input type="hidden" name="extent" value "-180 -90 180 90">
   etc
</form>

All "&-separated" name-value pairs that are normally in the URL can be
put as hidden variables in the form. When you submit the form,
everything will be passed to the server. There is no maximum to the
number of characters passed this way. I don't know how MapLab handles
this; in the worst case you have to do it by hand.

HTH

Jan