[Mapserver-users] gdal reading grass-database

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Thu Apr 10 06:20:29 EDT 2003

I don't know what others are doing with GRASS/MapServer, but I use GRASS
as a means to quickly generate derived maps (reclassified, clumped,
contoured etc). Thanks to the GRASSLIB interface in GDAL I can visualize
these immediately in my browser, much faster than with the standard
GRASS viewing tools. Moreover, I can combine them with any other
MapServer layer. It's really a sort of Rapid Development Tool for
getting my rasters right.

And yes, GRASS is an excellent modelling tool, certainly in combination
with PostgreSQL/PostGis and R, and MapServer can be an ideal frontend
for all this. And even in production environments, meant for the whole
WWW, the combination can be useful for rapid prototyping of visual
results. Perhaps even direct access to GRASS layers for WWW users via
MapServer would be viable; I don't have experience with that, but there
are certainly professional environments where such a setup could be
worthwile.

Jan