[Mapserver-users] which ./configure options needed?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 22 15:28:24 EDT 2003

Benjamin Thelen wrote:
> I would like to start compiling, but I am quite unsure what options for the
> configure-skript I have to take, because it is written in the mapserver
> documentation that "Some libraries will NEVER be detected by default, and
> HAVE to be specified via the configure script". That would mean to me that I
> only have to take those options
> --with-proj, --with-ogr, --with-gdal, --with-wmsclient (I don't need mpatrol
> and sde), which are never detected and the rest will be detected
> automatically. But somehow I think, I am wrong ;-)!
>
> If ogr is part of gdal, why do I have to specify ogr seperately? I don't
> know how to specify the correct path to the installed software because,
> there are so many libraries installed with the software. If I had a specific
> file I would have to specify, no problem, but application path...?

Benjamin,

If you are including GDAL (--with-gdal) it should be sufficient to list
--with-ogr to get OGR too.  You shouldn't need to include any path.  GDAL
does include a gdal-config script which I think you can point to with the
--with-gdal switch.  The configure will then run gdal-config to get the
necessary link and include options, much like GTK for instance.

BTW,
Good luck,