[Mapserver-users] which ./configure options needed?

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Apr 22 15:39:38 EDT 2003

Benjamin,

Well, the configure does attempt to detect many libraries, namely GD,
assuming you want to use the system's GD.

The options you listed will give you a WMS Client capable MapServer, along
with many other features (Reprojection, improved raster support, etc ...).

If in doubt as to the path to the libraries, on linux, you would build the
code, and install the libraries onto the system.  Normally, if you install
the libraries (such as OGR/GDAL) onto the system a simple --with-ogr and
--with-gdal will work, no need to feed it a path, configure will find what
it needs.

Basically, if you "make install" all the libs, you should be good to go with
no paths to specify to mapserver. I haven't played with FreeBSD in years,
but I suspect the same rules apply?

This only gets more complicated if you DON'T want to install the libraries
system wide, and then have to worry about include,lib, and ld paths ... But
that's another story :)

In your example, you've got it right ... you could actually NOT put any
paths anywhere except for PHP maybe, and that should still work fine (looks
like you did a system install of the software and libs).  Yes, normally
libjpeg and zlib are detected automagically, as is libfreetype (though you
may have to play with this depending on the version of freetype you have, or
if you have both).

Give that a try. If you have problems, post the output of the configure
script and maybe we can help.

J.F.