[Mapserver-users] Do NOT use 'make install' with mapserver

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Thu Apr 24 06:26:27 EDT 2003

Ian,

you encountered one of the special mapserver secret do's & don't's... Initiate
knowledge, so to speak...
*** Never use mapserver's make install target! ***
Firstly, indeed it does not work properly (afaik), so you could be very right
in that it is ignoring the prefix option.
Secondly, you will be in trouble when you want to upgrade to a newer version
and recompile mapserver. Make install copies the file 'libmap.a' in /usr/lib
or /usr/local/lib (not sure which of these), and if you compile a newer
version of mapserver, it will link against this old version of the library
instead of the new one that has just been created during your new compilation
process but still recides in the mapserver source dir. Some people had
serious trouble updating mapserver, till they found out about this easter egg
and removed this libmap.a file from their lib dir. You don't need it there,
it's just an error. Remove it, or it will give you trouble...
Btw, as installing mapserver usually means only copying one or two files, you
can easily do that by hand instead of using make install.

Maybe it's about time someone of the - don't misunderstand me, greatly
appreciated - development team fixes this, or just removes the make install
target, or at least puts something about this in the docs / readme files?

Regards,
Vincent Schut.