[Mapserver-users] Do NOT use 'make install' with mapserver

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Apr 24 11:14:48 EDT 2003

Vincent Schut wrote:

> Maybe it's about time someone of the - don't misunderstand me, greatly
> appreciated - development team fixes this, or just removes the make install
> target, or at least puts something about this in the docs / readme files?

The 'make install' has been disabled not long ago, but this was after
the 3.6.5 release (I know this should have been done before).  With the
CVS versions of 3.7-dev and in 3.6.6-dev, typing 'make install' returns:

***** MapServer Installation *****
To install MapServer, copy the 'mapserv' file to your web server's
cgi-bin directory.

If you use MapScript then see the documentation for your specific
MapScript version for installation instructions.

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca