[Mapserver-users] PostGIS subselect & where'd the data go?

Charlton Purvis cpurvis at asg.sc.edu
Fri Apr 25 11:14:21 EDT 2003

Thanks, Jan.  I understand what you're saying, but by the same
reasoning, why DOES
  DATA "the_geom from se_bethy"
return all the fields?  After all, the_geom is just a column.

I'm glad that you brought my attention to that detail, too, since I
might only be interested in returning only a subset of those columns.
What if for some reason I had 10 columns as part of my table where 3
were blobs w/ a large amount of binary data, and I was only interested
in the other 7 smaller integer columns?  If I were to leave the
"the_geom from se_bathy" alone, I sure would spend a lot of time
shipping data to MapServer that I would not need.

I guess my question is:  why isn't it only one way or the other instead
of like it seems to be now, something in the middle?