[Mapserver-users] Simple tutorial

Eric Bridger eric at gomoos.org
Fri Dec 5 04:00:53 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 11:11, g.zanetti wrote:
> I'm trying the demo example of mapserver.
>
> In the demo.html (that is the page that should display  the map , the options
> and the tools ) I've found some method form like this :
>
> <form method=GET action="[program]">

This is a mapserver template variable. Mapserv itself will set this,
along with other template variables. Read more here:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/template-reference.html

> Now I've find a new error (with no documentation...):
>
> msImageLoadGD(): General error message. Unable to load GIF reference image.
> msSaveImage(): Unable to access file.
> (/usr/local/http/htdocs/tmp/DEMOsb107061825410777.png)
> msSaveImage(): Unable to access file.
> (/usr/local/http/htdocs/tmp/DEMOleg107061825410777.png)
> msSaveImage(): Unable to access file.
> (/usr/local/http/htdocs/tmp/DEMO107061825410777.png)

Your reference image is a GIF and must be converted to PNG format. You
can use the convert program: convert ref.gif ref.png

> But I haven't the tmp directory under htdocs and also if I have created it , I
> haven't that files!

Mapserver needs to know the path of a directory for creating temp files.
This path is specified in the map file. You can read more about that
here:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/mapfile-reference.html
See the Web objects IMAGEPATH variable.

> Somebody can indicate me something like a EASY TUTORIALl for a newbie? The
> official documentation isn't very simple....it's like a directory, not a
> explanation.

This is a tutorial for mapserver 3.5 but it should give you an idea of
how the basic system works.
http://terrasip.gis.umn.edu/projects/tutorial35/

You can also see:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc35/getstarted-howto.html