AW: [Mapserver-users] Storing database connections in a CGI session

Richard Holzmeier Richard.Holzmeier at epost.de
Tue Dec 9 14:44:16 EST 2003

Hi Bart,

i´m at the beginning of a legitimate load performance test series MapServer
(4.0.1) vs. ArcIMS (4.0.1). The existing tests are restricted to ensure the
functionality of my test client, but here are the results:

My test client uses the WMS 1.1.0 interface to communicate with MapServer
and ArcIMS(+ESRI WMS Connector). Both servers are running on my localhost
via Apache 2/Tomcat and have the same SDE data layer on the same machine
(intranet) as data source. The layer is a very small point layer, the test
client permanently requests random 100x100 meter areas inside the bounding
box as 8bit PNG for 20 seconds.

MapServer (1 thread): 16 maps /20 seconds
MapServer (2 threads): 32 maps /20 seconds
ArcIMS (1 thread): 124 maps /20 seconds
ArcIMS (2 threads): 219 maps /20 seconds

Thanks for tip with FastCGI, but i want to test if CGI sessions are an
approvement