[Mapserver-users] Storing database connections in a CGI session

Benjamin Wragg bwragg at tpg.com.au
Thu Dec 18 17:30:32 EST 2003

Just to answer Bart's question about ArcIMS and caching. ArcIMS 3 and
3.1 (and likely 4.0) defiantly cached shapefiles when a MapService was
setup. This actually happened when you told ArcIMS to make available an
AXL file (like a map file in mapserver). It would read through the data
sources in the AXL file and cache the shapefile data sources.

Regarding SDE data sources, as far as I know it never cached from SDE
data sources. What they did do in version 4.0 (could also be in 3.1) is
they setup a new way of connecting to SDE. It was called a "direct
connect" and if my memory serves me correctly it basically took some of
the load from the server process which is assigned to handle all that
connections requests. ArcIMS some how communicated more directly with
the database itself. This apparently speed up the connection. This was
about the time I left the 'dark side' and joined the 'rebels' in there
quest to bring peace and harmony to the galaxy so my knowledge has some
gaps in it from version 4.0 on :).

Cheers,

Benjamin Wragg