[Mapserver-users] SDE Direct Connect

Michael.Smith at erdc.usace.army.mil Michael.Smith at erdc.usace.army.mil
Thu Dec 11 13:45:52 EST 2003

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3C017.00A4B180

There is some errors is here that I have to correct.

1. Oracle does indeed have direct spatial support but that is not
necessarily incompatitble with SDE. SDE can store data in sdebinary format,
longraw format (which is being deprecated I belive) and native Oracle
Spatial format.

2. Direct connect actually has nothing to do with how SDE stores
information. SDE can operate in two modes. Standard or 3 tier mode, in which
the client connects to an SDE server which will then communicate with the
database. Or Direct Connect or 2 tier mode, in which some of abilities of
the sde server are done in the client. ArcGIS can operate this way. The part
of SDE that communicates with the database in built in to ArcGIS to do this.
Mapserver still doesn't have to know anything about Oracle Spatial as that
is all part of the direct connect code built into the client. However, the
client abilities are limited in that it is a read only connection, even if
you have an sde license.

3. I wouldn't say that SDE 3 tier is slower than 2 tier. As with so many
things, it depends.

4. The C Api that mapserver links to does support direct connect however I
don't believe that the direct connection functions have been implemented

Here what Esri says about Direct Connect

Direct Connect is a method for ArcSDE client applications to connect
directly to the spatial database (hosted on either Oracle 8i or Microsoft
SQL Server) without having to use the ArcSDE application server.

The classic ArcSDE connection architecture is three-tiered, it includes an
application server process (giomgr), a per-connection server process
(gsrvr), and a client application. ESRI client applications include ArcGIS
Desktop and ArcView. Within this architecture, the ArcSDE giomgr process
manages connections from client applications. When a connection to Oracle8i
is granted through the giomgr process, a gsrvr process is spawned to service
the new connection. The gsrvr process manages all subsequent query
operations between the client application and the RDBMS for the duration of
the connection. Both the giomgr process and gsrvr process exist on the
server machine that hosts ArcSDE and (usually) Oracle.

Direct-connect is a two-tiered architecture, wherein ArcSDE client
applications can connect directly to an Oracle8i instance. The functionality
of the gsrvr process has been added to a set of libraries used directly by
ArcSDE clients. Typically, ArcSDE clients run on remote desktop machines,
while the Oracle8i instance runs on a server-class machine. The functions of
the gsrvr process become part of the client application running on the
client machine. The ArcSDE giomgr process (part of the three-tiered
architecture) is not used to manage direct-connect connections, though it
can continue to be used for three-tiered client connections simultaneously
with two-tiered direct-connect client connections.