[Mapserver-users] Debugging Projections

Ross, Troy D tdross at sandia.gov
Mon Dec 15 14:48:05 EST 2003

Hello,
I would appreciate it if someone explained to me what my problem is and what
I need to do to solve it.
I have a mapfile with essentially two layers.

The projection for the map is defined as follows:

PROJECTION
    "proj=latlong"
    "ellps=clrk66"
    "datum=NAD27"
END

The first layer (polygon worldmap)
GEOGCS["GCS_Assumed_Geographic_1",
    DATUM["North_American_Datum_1927",
        SPHEROID["Clarke_1866",6378206.4,294.9786982]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],
    UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]]

PROJECTION
    "proj=latlong"
    "ellps=clrk66"
    "datum=NAD27"
END

The second layer
 I've defined is a PostGRE/PostGIS table of cities and their associated
Lat/Long.
PROJECTION
    "proj=latlong"
    "ellps=WGS84"
END

As is the first layer (the polygon worldmap) displays correctly, but the
world cities layer (with only one city) doesn't display anything.  If I
change the projection for the map to the same as the projection for the
world cities layer the symbol representing the city shows up on the map, but
the first layers projection causes it to look as though it is being sucked
into the center of the worldmap.  If I change the projection of the first
layer to the same as the second then a world map is displayed but the
location of the city is clearly wrong. (the city is on the border of
Kazakhstan and shows up in the far North of Russia).

Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or what projection information I'm
missing?
Thanks,
Troy