[Mapserver-users] Oracle 9i Support

chodgson at refractions.net chodgson at refractions.net
Mon Dec 15 15:34:26 EST 2003

I'm having a problem using Mapserver 3.6.3 with Oracle 9i. None of the
geometries from oracle are displayed on the map. It gives me no error message,
they're simply not displayed.

I believe my connection string and query are correct
(user/pass at tnsname, "the_geom from table"). If I make an error in the table
name, then take the resulting query which is given in the mapserver error
message and correct the table name, then run it in sqlplus, I get the correct
results.

Mapserver is compiled with oracle support and it says INPUT=ORACLESPATIAL in
the version string. Other, shapefile-based layers are displayed correctly even
as the oracle layer is not. I have the layer set as default, and there is no
min/maxscale set so I know it should be displayed.

I loaded the data by taking a shapefile, running shp2sdo (downloaded from
oracle) and then sqlldr (from the oracle client tools install). I didn't
specify an SRID anywhere, and mapserver isn't compiled with Proj support, but I
can see my shapefile layers displayed correctly and they are in the same
projection as the oracle data (BC Albers). Is there any issues with not giving
oracle and SRID (it seemd happy to accept no SRID)?

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Has anyone used mapserver with
Oracle 9i w/locator successfully? Any ideas for solving or at least debugging
my problem?

Thanks,
Chris Hodgson