[Mapserver-users] shapefile items and item values recognition

Wojciech Stadnicki wost at pf.pl
Tue Dec 16 13:41:07 EST 2003

Hi list,
You guys all are great, I had recently some problems with instaling mapserv, I followed your advices and now all works fine - mapserv 4.0.1 on Win2000 with Apache server from EasyPHP.
Now I'm trying to create my own app and I came across a little problem: how to find out, at the level of template init or map file, what are the names of items in my shapefles I use as datsource? And what are the available values in particular items, e.g. what are the street names held in street layer? (before the user clicks on any feature and finds out some names). I'd like my app to be able to show them to the user, while user don't know any ite names or values stored in them. Is it possible to do it?
Hopefully waiting for any suggests
Wojciech Stadnicki