[Mapserver-users] PHP as module?

William K woklist at charter.net
Mon Dec 29 09:34:30 EST 2003

here, here!

As an extension to that, is there a possibility of removing the
dependence on PHP source?  PHP comes preinstalled on Mac OS X (both
server and client), but without source (it has the usual installed
headers).  Even though we wouldn't have to rebuild PHP as a cgi, we
would still have to rebuild it to have a source tree.  Or it may be
installed from another package to get some extra features, but again no
source would be available for mapserver.

On Dec 27, 2003, at 11:42 PM, Don Holeman wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I own a shared hosting company and I would like to offer Mapserver
> hosting
> as an option. I've been waiting to see whether the dependency on cgi
> PHP
> would be resolved, which according to earlier posts is schedluled for
> version 4.1 of Mapserver. Can anyone tell me how far along this is and
> whether the current development cvs supports modular PHP on RH9? This
> cgi
> dependency creates all sorts of security issues and problems with other
> needed software in a shared server environment, so while I'd very much
> like
> to offer space on a shared spatial server I think it's basically a
> non-starter until modular php is an option.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy