[Mapserver-users] symbols from shapefile

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Feb 4 17:47:12 EST 2003

This isn't possible as it sits now. Only label angle and size are
directly usable from the .dbf file. It wouldn't be that hard to hack the
code to do this. Just add symbolitem as a layer parameter and copy the
code that gets label parameters from the attribute table. The function
msWhichItems would also have to be minimally touched.  I don't think
this functionality will be implemented this way in the future though. I
would rather see support akin to the styleitem OGR support. In that
scenario you'd cram a whole style (color, size, symbol, etc...) into a
single attribute. Total feature-by-feature control then. Dan might be
able to speak to the format of that information if you wanted to do that
instead.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> jj at aprsworld.net 02/04/03 03:00PM >>>
Hi list,

In my application I need to represent thousands of objects that have
about
200 symbols. In the shapefile / DBF file I have a column with the
symbol
name I would like that point represented by. Is there any way to have
mapserver use that icon specified by the DBF.

I thought I would ask before I start hacking apart the code in an
attempt
to add that functionality.

Thanks,

-James Jefferson