[Mapserver-users] ODBC connection data entry

randy james rjames57 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 12:35:02 EST 2003

Hi

Decided to cc to the Mapserver list for help also.

I am just starting to look at postgis, and my SQL
knowledge is somewhat limited, so i thought it would
be a good idea to ask before i begin developing.

I am trying to set-up postgis for data entry from
Microsoft Access through the postgresql ODBC driver. I
was wondering if it is possible to convert two
coloumns, (X and Y coodinates) to the geom column in
the postgis enabled postgresql table? From reading the
documentation looks like i can use the INSERT INTO and
 FROM statements.

We have a large number of points in dbf format and i
am looking for a easy way to load the data so it can
be available for MapServer.

Also since most of our staff works with MSaccess i am
planning on using it to enter new points into the
system so it can be available for mapserver.

Cheers
Randy