[Mapserver-users] Can't seem to get the projection correct

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Feb 18 12:43:02 EST 2003

Daniel -

Interesting - thanks for that data!  I have to say that the MapInfo
image appears "stretched" vertically, while the MapServer image appears
correct based on having seen such projections before.

And based on some old-fashioned pixel-counting, that seems to be the
case.  I just took a careful look at your MapInfo image.  If it is
indeed in "geographic" projection, then all degrees of latitude and all
degrees of longitude are the same size.  Looking at latitude, I measured
Manitoba, which conveniently runs from 49 degrees North to 60 degrees
North.  That's 11 degrees of latitude, and Manitoba is 108 pixels high
on your image.  So your vertical scale is just under 10 pixels per
degree.

For longitude, I measured Colorado and Utah together.  They run from 102
degrees West (CO/KS border) to 114 degrees West (UT/NV border).  That's
12 degrees of longitude, but they're only 86 pixels apart.  That's a
horizontal scale of just over 7 pixels per degree.

Your MapServer image isn't squished, it's your MapInfo image that's
stretched.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: (978) 251-4242  Fax: (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com