[Mapserver-users] Basic questions

Mick Ruthven mruthven at impact-consult.com
Thu Feb 20 10:57:46 EST 2003

------=_NextPart_000_0147_01C2D8B5.C19A99D0

Hello GIS people,

We're experienced application developers with no experience in GIS. We =
have
a new client project and are trying to determine just which parts of =
this
project will require GIS tools and expertise and which parts will not, =
and if MapServer would work for us. It's
a web-based application that requires some geo-based material. The =
following
is my understanding of what we need to accomplish.

1. Website user enters a street address or 9-digit zip code into a form.

2. That address or 9-digit zip is converted to lat/long coordinates.

3. Our application contains a database of locations, each with lat/long
coordinates. The application determines which if any of those locations =
are
"near enough" to the user-entered address. We intend to accomplish this =
by
assigning a lat/long tolerance of some fraction of a degree to those
locations, creating in effect a rectangle for each location, then =
comparing
the user's lat/long to the lat/long corners of the rectangle.

4. The site displays a map containing a symbol for the user-entered =
location
and sequential numbers for the "matched' locations from our database.

5. We display information about each of the matched locations, including =
the
distance from it to the user-entered location.

6. We'd also like to allow the user enter the desired location by =
clicking
on a mapquest-type map, and the lat/long of that location would be =
available
to our application.

As you might suspect, we're looking for the simplest, fastest, and least
expensive way to accomplish this. We know the database and web stuff. =
What
can you tell me about what we would need in the GIS realm and if =
MapServer would work for this application.

Thanks so much,

Mick Ruthven

------=_NextPart_000_0147_01C2D8B5.C19A99D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello GIS people,<BR><BR>We're =
experienced=20
application developers with no experience in GIS. We have<BR>a new =
client=20
project and are trying to determine just which parts of this<BR>project =
will=20
require GIS tools and expertise and which parts will not, and if =
MapServer would=20
work for us. It's<BR>a web-based application that requires some =
geo-based=20
material. The following<BR>is my understanding of what we need to=20
accomplish.<BR><BR>1. Website user enters a street address or 9-digit =
zip code=20
into a form.<BR><BR>2. That address or 9-digit zip is converted to =
lat/long=20
coordinates.<BR><BR>3. Our application contains a database of locations, =
each=20
with lat/long<BR>coordinates. The application determines which if any of =
those=20
locations are<BR>"near enough" to the user-entered address. We intend to =

accomplish this by<BR>assigning a lat/long tolerance of some fraction of =
a=20
degree to those<BR>locations, creating in effect a rectangle for each =
location,=20
then comparing<BR>the user's lat/long to the lat/long corners of the=20
rectangle.<BR><BR>4. The site displays a map containing a symbol for the =

user-entered location<BR>and sequential numbers for the "matched' =
locations from=20
our database.<BR><BR>5. We display information about each of the matched =

locations, including the<BR>distance from it to the user-entered=20
location.<BR><BR>6. We'd also like to allow the user enter the desired =
location=20
by clicking<BR>on a mapquest-type map, and the lat/long of that location =
would=20
be available<BR>to our application.<BR><BR>As you might suspect, we're =
looking=20
for the simplest, fastest, and least<BR>expensive way to accomplish =
this. We=20
know the database and web stuff. What<BR>can you tell me about what we =
would=20
need in the GIS realm and if MapServer would work for this=20
application.<BR><BR>Thanks so much,<BR><BR>Mick=20
Ruthven<BR></FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0147_01C2D8B5.C19A99D0--