[Mapserver-users] cygwin vs. windows

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Tue Feb 25 23:35:51 EST 2003

Ed,

Thanks for the info.  Sorry for not being more specific, I was trying to
rush that e-mail before heading home :-)  The remote machine is running
Win2K, not sure if it's Server or just Pro.  I'll have to check on that.
  I do have a local Win2K machine available.

The situation is that I have done my development for this project on
Linux, and there was supposed to be a Linux box at the remote site.
That didn't materialize, so now I need to install MapServer on Windows
(or maybe Cygwin) at the remote site and port my code.

Considering I need to install and configure PHP, MapServer, and related
components remotely over a secure connection, I'm wondering whether it
would be easier to do this on Windows (DM Solutions has precompiled
binaries) using something like VNC over SSH to connect remotely, or on
Cygwin, which can be made very similar to my current Linux environment,
including the bash shell that I'm used to, and where I can just use SSH
to connect.

I realize this is sort of a vague question.  I guess I'm just looking
for comments on how difficult it is to get MapServer and PHP MapScript
running on Cygwin, or whether anyone has done this successfully.  This
post
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0206/msg00360.html
from last summer makes it sound pretty difficult.  If there are too many
headaches involved, I'll just go with Windows.

Thanks,
Dylan