[Mapserver-users] Re: Implementing querying functionality using Perl MapScript

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Tue Jul 15 13:24:49 EDT 2003

To get & install XBase (& DBI):
Either:
1) perl -MCPAN -e shell;
2) install DBD::XBase
3) install Bundle::DBI
or:
1) Download
http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/J/JA/JANPAZ/DBD-XBase-0.234.tar.gz
2) Download http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/T/TI/TIMB/DBI-1.37.tar.gz
3) Do "tar -xf xxxxxx.tar.gz --ungzip" for each.
4) Do "perl Makefile.PL; make; make test; make install" for each.

As far as DBFInfo goes:
Don't use it.

To access the attributes in the DBF after you have the shape index:
If the DBF file includes a field with the record number in it you can
use the combination of XBase & DBI to do an SQL
"SELECT attribute FROM dbffile WHERE recno = '$shapeindex'".
Note: The record number field I'm referring to is NOT a standard DBF field.
If the DBF file does not include a field with the record number in it
you must use XBase and loop through each record with a counter starting
at 0 until you read a record and the counter is equal to the $shapeindex.

HTH
Lowell

The following message was sent by AMC Story <s9646183 at sms.ed.ac.uk> on
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:30:07 +0100 (BST).

> Thanks, I'll try to be a bit more specific this time :)
>
> Basically, I'd like to be able to select a point object from the map,
and then
> display a new pop-up box, which would give the user all the
information about
> that point feature which is stored in the dbf file, and perhaps also
include a
> map in this pop up window which would highlight the selected feature in a
> different colour or with a different symbol.  Not quite sure how to do
the pop-
> up box thing yet, but I seem to remember some tips on this in the
archive, so
> I'll look at that once I've figured out how to do the basics.
>
> So far, I've got to the point where I can display the shapeindex of the
> selected point,
>
> ie. $rec_no = $result_feature->{shapeindex};
>
> but I'm now struggling to work out how to access the attributes of the
feature
> in the dbf file with that record number.  In some of the examples, the
XBase
> module is used.  I don't seem to be able to access this (and I've
tried xdb and
> Xbase too) but I could possibly get it installed if it's necessary.
>
> I was wondering though whether I could use methods of the DBFInfo
class or some
> of the miscellaneous functions such as msDBFReadStringAttribute which
I saw