[Mapserver-users] transparent layer creates blurry fonts

Charlton Purvis cpurvis at asg.sc.edu
Wed Jul 16 22:44:03 EDT 2003

Hi, folks:

Whenever I enable (STATUS ON) one of my layers that has a TRANSPARENCY
value associated w/ it, my labels go from having no background to having
a white background.  This is a problem since I don't want to use a black
text on white background.

Here are two samples.  The "good" one is how I would like the image to
look even w/ the transparent layer on.  The "bad" one is how it
currently looks (w/ the transparent layer on).  Don't look for the
transparent layer, though, since I gave it a bogus expression to keep
the image simple.

Any ideas?

Good image (w/o transparent layer on):
http://caro-coops.org/~cpurvis/misc/good_labels_no_trans.png

Bad image (w/ transparent layer on):
http://caro-coops.org/~cpurvis/misc/bad_labels_with_trans.png

  IMAGETYPE png
  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME png
    DRIVER "GD/PNG"
    MIMETYPE "image/png"
    IMAGEMODE RGBA
    EXTENSION "png"
    TRANSPARENT ON
  END
    CLASS
      NAME "streets_label"
      COLOR 0 0 0
      MAXSCALE 50000
      LABEL
        TYPE TRUETYPE
        FONT "arial-bold"
        SIZE 8
        POSITION AUTO
        ANGLE AUTO
        COLOR 255 255 0
      END
    END

I'm assuming that keeping TRANSPARENT ON w/i only the OUTPUTFORMAT block
is the right thing to do.

MS 3.7, gdal-1.1.8, gd-2.0.15

Thanks,

Charlton